Libro: El Arte de Innovar
IDEO, the world leader of design agencies, is responsible for the creation and development of a multitude of objects and tools that we use in everyday life (design of the cap of toothpaste, palm pilot, Mac mouse and so on. ), has published a book called THE ART OF INNOVATION. Lessons in Creativity.
Although the book speaks mainly about design, we can extract other valuable ideas about how to manage our business, which can serve as a great inspiration to those who want to succeed in their business. In the book The Art of Innovation, the authors talk about the importance of the process of brainstorming on the companies to foster creativity and eventually succeed.
At Ideo, the brainstorming is the platform for innovative ideas. In one hour, employees (not just designers) usually propose 100 ideas for their projects. The brainstorming also serves to inspire confidence among the group and facilitates the work in the best possible way. Every employee at IDEO, selects the group that you want to belong and you are not forced into a group or project you do not like. This is a very good way to maintain a high level of enthusiasm and passion too.
IDEO’s office is also designed in a way that you can type the list of 100 ideas on the board without having to remove any. All ideas that are impossible to do are accepted too. Then, the group reduces the list 10 by 10 until they choose the most interesting.
IDEO lists the following steps for a successful brainstorming:
1. Defining the problem / challenge. Write it. No need to be on a blackboard, you can use the entire office to write on the walls or anywhere else in the room. (cover with paper the surfaces for people to write their ideas).
2. Forbidding people criticize or debate. Write this rule on the blackboard.
3. Enter the ideas and list them.
4. Before starting the brainstorming begin with exercises or games for people to meet.
5. Use drawings or any form of display.
What they DO NOT have to do …
1. The boss can not begin to talk.
2. People do not have to talk in shifts. Let the brainstorming have its own timing.
And remember … use the brainstorming as a major activity at work and do not do it alone during meetings outside the office.